Monday, October 31, 2011

Random thoughts...

Because it has been a while since I last wrote, I thought it a good idea to at least put up something so that I don't fall completely out of the world of blogging.
This year has been a whirlwind and to think that tomorrow is the first day of November absolutely BLOWS my mind. I remember thinking during this same period of time last year, "man, it's been really stinking busy, surely it'll slow down sometimes soon." Here it is, a year later and things have yet to "slow down." I guess the saying is true, time flies when you are having fun.
Speaking of fun, we went to Boise this weekend to hang out for Mandy's birthday and had a great time. We never do very much when we travel, we aren't the type that get worn out going from place to place trying to fit a million things into a day. I'm grateful that we can go somewhere, take naps, enjoy a slow pace and just enjoy each others company. So often in life we get caught up in all the madness that we never slow down and enjoy the little things. We also realized while in Boise that we really like Boise. I'm not a city person, anyone that knows me well will tell you that. I've also visited a LOT of cities and they are all met with the same disdain. Boise is different. It's just a nice place. There is a lot of stuff to do, plenty of good places to eat and you don't have to worry about getting accosted every time you turn a corner. I was in San Diego for less than 20 minutes the first time before I received my first accosting. 
Anyway, funny story. Our favorite place to eat in Boise is a Mexican restaurant called "Jalapeno's." We went by on Thursday night and were excited to see that they were having live music. We initially thought, cool, a mariachi band or something like that. Nope. Two white guys with guitars singing really sketchy songs. They were talented, don't get me wrong, but the stuff they sang about was just plain weird. As soon as we got our food the lead singer started telling a story about a Mexican love triangle gone bad where someone slaughtered 2 people, 14 goats, a beagle and sacrificed a chicken. Now, at this point, Mandy and I are starring wide eyed at each other from across the booth, neither of us talking, but both of us thinking, "did he really just say that?" I mean, how do you respond to that? (Check, please!) It's one thing to read an article about that...it's another thing to read an article about that and then share it during your live set at a family restaurant...it's INSANE to read that article, and then allow it to be inspiration for a song that you wrote which you then proceed to play at the family restaurant. Needless to say, we took the long way around the restaurant when we headed for the exit. Food was a 9 out of 10. Music, not so much.
I went to bed that night with the Rangers up by 2 runs on the Cardinals. Woke up the next morning and saw that St. Louis had come back and won. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment